Today, water jet cutting has become a highly advanced and widely used manufacturing process because waterjet cutting can cut through a diverse set of materials.
There are two kinds of waterjet cutting methods exist, namely pure and abrasive waterjet cutting. The difference is that pure waterjet cutting is used for cutting soft materials like foam or paper by using solely the water stream for cutting. Whereas, for abrasive waterjet cutting a granular abrasive is added to the water stream. The granular abrasive accelerates the power of the cutting stream, enabling hard materials such as metal or ceramics to be easily cut.
It is important to be aware of the benefits of waterjet cutting which will help you to make a good quality business decision.
- Abrasive Waterjet Cutting: Abrasive waterjet cutting is typically used to make complex shapes in the X/Y axes of large, flat sheets of metal or composite material. The addition of the abrasive at the nozzle boosts the cutting ability of the high-PSI water stream. It also allows the machine to be used with water-only for positioning and then with an abrasive for cutting the workpiece.
- Waterjet Metal Cutting: Here are the benefits of waterjet metal cutting:
- Increased productivity, fast cutting and high-quality parts
- Minimal kerf allows incredible detail
- Inconsistent material is not a problem
- Raw material savings — reduced scrap
- No need for extensive part clamping , minimal lateral or vertical forces
- Single-pass cutting, depending on material thickness
- No thermal damage
- Net or near-net cutting, little or no hand finishing
- No Material Limitations: Waterjet cutting is versatile applicable, cutting nearly any material; composites, plastics, metals, glass, stone or rock, ceramics, and rubber. With the addition of a granular abrasive, a waterjet cutting machine can perform quality cuts on materials up to 200 mm thickness.
- Doesn’t Generate Heat: A major advantage of waterjet cutting is that no heat affected zone (HAZ) occurs due to its cold cutting method. Not only does cold cutting enable clean cuts, but also increases the operators’ safety significantly by eliminating the risks of burns.
- No additional finishing process: The immediate high cutting quality ensures a precise result, avoiding an additional finishing process. This significantly accelerates the cutting process and saves time, increasing the overall efficiency.
- No hazardous waste: The growing importance of environmentally friendly processes throughout the industries is becoming more apparent. A significant advantage of waterjet cutting is that it does not create any hazardous waste in the form of fumes and gases, unlike other cutting technologies.
So, after knowing the advantages of waterjet cutting, you possibly want to get waterjet cutting services. There are many steel fabricators in Dubai who are providing best waterjet cutting services, which will surely give you the best experience.